by: Matt Alexander
Living with Urgency:
Where Should I Witness?
Text: Acts 1:1-8
Where should I witness? Getting on an airplane and going to a foreign land is not the primary option. Though it plays a rightful heart – we all have a place to witness that begins much nearer to home. Acts is a missional book that shows us the missional heart of God. God is a missional God and followers of Jesus must be a missional people.
Have you answered the question – Where should I witness?
Begins in the Heart v.8a.
- The disciples ask a political question – they always were focused on a political Messiah
- Jesus gives a missional answer (Always!) (v.7)
- Your outward witness begins in your very own heart
- Your heart will be a witness to the things your heart is focused on
- Set your heart on Jesus and let his power burn within you
Burns in the Home. V.8b
- Closely linked to the power – Jesus said you will be my witnesses (not my preachers, teachers, etc.) In everything WITNESS
- Jesus then covers a geographical area that will serve also as a social sphere of Biblical witness
- “Witness” – one who dies for his faith – what parts of your self are dying in order to be a greater witness for the Gospel
- This serves as a scope for the entire book of Acts
- Jerusalem chapters 1-7
- Judea & Samaria chapters 8-9
- Ends of the Earth (Gentiles) chapters 10-28
- For our church – Right here in Greenville – the neighborhood of the church – Do you notice the homes you pass on your way to worship? Do you care about the poverty around us? Do you make excuses for not going to the people who are different than you in many ways?
- For our church – our larger Delta region, Mississippi, United States, what we would label as “local missions”
Breaks forth into the whole world. V.8c
- God created everyone and God cares about everyone
- It is his will that none should perish but all should come to repentance
- God cares about remote people
- God accepts no excuses for getting out of missional work
- How are you supporting the Gospel getting to remote people?
- Pray – always do the most important work – pray for our missionaries and those who would go on short term trips
- Give – never complain about giving to missions
- Go – Begin at home and go where the Lord leads
God has called everyone to go somewhere and witness on a regular basis. Where are you going?